Walking in the footsteps of St Columba.
Programme Sun 10th September 2017:
- 13:00 Climb Dun I./St Columba’s Cell
- 14:30 Mass in Abbey – Main Celebrant Arch. B. Leo Cushley, Archdiocese of St Andrews & Edinburgh
Contact Gaynoll Craig on 07544020709 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
There is no public transport on Sunday from Craignure to Fionnphort. CYSS is providing 4 coaches to transport pilgrims on Sunday only. Groups wishing to take 2-day option will need to use own transport and ferries.
The ‘ONE DAY’ option
Transport from Oban to Iona – return –10/9/17
Time on Iona: 3-4 Hrs.
Timetable for one-day option
- 09:50 – Calmac ferry departs Oban
- 10:40 – Calmac ferry arrives Craignure
- 11:00 – Coaches depart Craignure
- 12:00 – Coaches arrive Fionnphort
- 11:45 – Ferries depart for Iona
- 12:15 – Arrivals on Iona and explore/lunch
- 13:00 – Climb Dun I as a group (with some stational prayers)
- 13:45 – All descended from Dun I and return to Abbey; time to explore Abbey grounds (with help of CYSS-prepared guide book)
- 14:30 – Celebration of Mass in Abbey Church
- 16:00 – Ferry departures from Iona
- 16:15 – Arrivals in Fionnphort
- 17:30 – All coaches departed from Fionnphort
- 18:15 – All coaches arrived at Craignure
- 19:15 – Calmac Ferry from Craignure to Oban
- 20:05 – Calmac Ferry arrives in Oban
The ‘TWO DAY’ option
Groups can arrange their own accommodation on the Sat. 9th September, which would allow more free time on Iona.
Groups who choose to get to Mull on the Saturday, will then be able to plan their own programmes and arrive on Iona on Sunday morning in plenty of time to walk to St Columba’s Bay, to then meet with the others who will arrive shortly after midday.
Accommodation. I would strongly recommend that you book your accommodation as early as possible as accommodation is in short supply on Iona unless you use the campsites. Staying on Mull or in Oban is another possibility.
- Catholic House of Prayer -reserved
- Bishops House – available
- Youth Hostel – not available
- Iona Campsite – available
- Fionnphort Campsite – available
- Various hotels, with restrictions for 1 night stays
Saturday (summer timetable 2016)
OBAN – CRAIGNURE – IONA