Date(s) - 07/06/2017
10:30 - 12:30
The 2017 Pluscarden Pentecost Lectures
Painters, Prophets and Kings
Four talks by Dr Francesca Murphy
Wednesday 7th June at 10:30
Dr Murphy plans to read a theological novel in 14 chapters, three or four short chapters per lecture. She does not want to give too much away or it will spoil the story. In brief, the world has been invaded by theocrats from Mars. Gnosis and Pistis (Knowledge and Faith), the hero and heroine of the novel, are trying to get rid of them. Will they succeed?
Lecture 2 – Painters, Prophets and Kings:
- CHAPTER FOUR: PAINTERS, PROPHETS AND KINGS: PROMETHEUS PAYS A CALL
- How the world secularized itself in preparation for the Robotic Martians.
- CHAPTER FIVE: THE SECULAR SANCTITY OF LACORDAIRE
- Jean-Baptiste Henri-Dominique Lacordaire saw that secularity is a shield against secularization.
- CHAPTER SIX: SOULLESS ANGELS
- Backstory about the creation of the Robots on Mars. Why they are agents of secularization.
- CHAPTER SEVEN: A TRAIL OF ELEPHANTS
- The Martian Robots impose a religion of agnosticism.
There will be no charge for these lectures and all are welcome to attend, either for the whole series or for individual lectures. For more information on the whole series download the 2017 Leaflet.
The lectures will take place as usual in St Scholastica’s Retreat, the white single storey building a short distance outside the main gate.
We can offer hospitality at the Abbey for a limited number of both men and women. Early booking is advised. There are also many places to stay in the Elgin area: contact the local tourist office: 01343 542666.
To register for the talks, make further enquiries, or book accommodation, please write to: Pentecost Lectures, Pluscarden Abbey, ELGIN, Moray IV30 8UA enclosing a SAE; fax 01343 890258; or email firstname.lastname@example.org